Mastering the Hype Cycle:
How to Adopt the Right Innovation at the Right Time’ by Gartner analysts Jackie Fenn & Mark Raskino. Published by Harvard Business Press. Visit www.gartner.com/hypecycle to find out more.
The Emerging Technologies Hype Cycle 2012 contains a number of new technologies which have entered the stage, including Big Data, Internet of Things, and In-Memory Computing, while others are at the peak, such as HTML5, Hybrid Cloud Computing, Social Analytics:
The hype cycles help evaluating various technologies, to see their maturity and suitability for investment. If a technology has just started and it is on the rise, then it may be useful to start integrating it in the technology planning process, or maybe start building on it to have a head start against competitors, but the latest approach involves high risk due to technology’s immaturity. Technologies at the peak or sliding into the trough of disillusionment get a lot of press coverage but they are not necessarily technologies that will survive or thrive in the following years. Technologies found climbing the slope and entering the plateau are considered by Gartner as mature and stable, suitable for investment.
Source or all quoted material: http://www.gartner.com/it/products/research/media_products/book/
- The future predicts Gartner by 2015, 10 percent of your online “friends” will be nonhuman
- The future Gartner predicts by 2015, a G20 nation’s critical infrastructure will be disrupted and damaged by online sabotage.
- Bloom Box the future of energy, a hat trick or hype, Ebay saves $100,000 using 5 boxes
- Future: Smart TV & iTV Facial Recognition Software Detects Who, You?
- Predictions: Software Attacks Rise with Advanced Persistent Threats as CTO Stuart McClure of McAffee Shows us How We Can Secure the Unsecurable