The Nexus of Water and Energy
“The nexus – or crossroads – between water and energy has been with the industry since its founding a hundred years ago whether due to the use of hydro or the need for water to cool fossil generation. It continues today with the additional water needs for utility scale solar, solar water heating and tidal power advances.” Source: Mark Gabriel
The 2012 Black & Veatch Strategic Directions in the U.S. Electric Utility Industry Report shows significant changes are underway within the industry. The icons below link to key findings from this year’s report. Please download the report to view the full Black & Veatch analysis.
MARK GABRIEL | Senior Vice President Strategy and Business Process
B&V Management Consulting Division
Black & Veatch Corporation | 11401 Lamar, Overland Park, KS 66211
+ 1 303 838 2493 p | +1 415-860-0474 c | email@example.com
What are the major disruptive challenges facing utilities?
“The single greatest threat is the unrealistic government expectations concerning coal generation in terms of timing and cost. The EPA assumes that only 15 megawatts of coal will close; the industry 65-80. This may have the perverse incentive for companies to close coal plants which will cause energy prices to rise, forcing out other critical investments.
What is the most important strategy for utilities preparing for the future?
The single most important strategy is for utilities to actually have a strategy. Hope is not a strategy, nor is waiting for regulations to be sorted out or policy to be clarified. To me the strategy for all parties should be aligned: Have great regulatory relations, operate best in class and invest in technology with no regrets.”
Image Source: livebettermagazine.com
- Future Predictions: 2011 Strategic Directions in the Electric Utility Industry Featuring Mark Gabriel
- Future Electric Cars: Is It Time to Buy an Electric Car? Access The Who’s Who List of the EV Industry
- Predictions: Money, Power and Wallstreet as the 2008 Crash Was Just the Appetizer, PBS Frontline 2012 Inside Story on What is Next to Come?
- Future Predictions: Cancer Spread Worldwide Unmeasurable Since Wind Blew Towards Ocean Saving Japan From Fukushima Radiation
- Prediction: Everyone Will Know What Half-Life Means as Three types of plutonium have turned up at Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant