Image Source: plusultratech.com
FuturICT: Global Computing for Our Complex World
We have built particle accelerators to understand the forces that make up our physical world. Yet, we do not understand the principles underlying our strongly connected, techno-socio-economic systems. We have enabled ubiquitous Internet connectivity and instant, global information access. Yet we do not understand how it impacts our behavior and the evolution of society.
To fill the knowledge gaps and keep up with the fast pace at which our world is changing, a Knowledge Accelerator must urgently be created. For this, the FuturICT flagship project will promote an interdisciplinary integration of natural, social, and engineering sciences with novel paradigms of information technology. This will produce the synergy effects required to address many of our 21st century challenges. After the age of physical, biological and technological innovations, FuturICT will lead Europe into the next era – a wave of information-driven social and socio-inspired innovations.
- Future Prediction: Every 2 Days We Create as Much Information as We Did From the Dawn of Civilization to 2003 – That’s 5 Exabytes of Data or 5 Billion Gigabytes
- Predictions: Is the Social Media Revolution a fad?
- Future Predictions: The Institute for Public Knowledge is a Future PAC for the 99%, A Viable Political Action Committee
- Future Predictions: Social Networks Is the Novelty Wearing Off?
- Future: A Single Day in the Internet Suggests 5 Key Ideas on How to Use Social Media For Professional Development